The Strange Adventures of H is Sarah’s sixth book but first adult novel.
Her writing career is an agent’s nightmare, as she does not tend to write the same sort of book twice, which makes her work difficult to market. Her previous books are:
- Impostors: Six Kinds of Liar
- A Double Life: a Biography of Charles and Mary Lamb
- The Miracle in Bethlehem: A Storyteller’s Tale
- How to Put on a Community Play
- The Complete and Utter History of the World By Samuel Stewart, Aged 9
Short Books, 2013
Sarah also helps developing writers through her teaching. She founded, and from 2013-2017 directed and taught, the Master’s programme in Creative Writing at the University of Cambridge. However she only managed to write one short story in that time, so at the end of 2017 stepped back in order to concentrate on The Strange Adventures of H and other writing.
She continues to teach short courses at the University’s Institute of Continuing Education (ICE) and also runs their Creative Writing Retreats. With Jem Poster she also runs writing courses and workshops for Guardian Masterclasses and literary festivals.